[FreeNX-kNX] How to mount a client-side linux folder as a server-side directory

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Jul 5 20:28:35 UTC 2010

Ronan Fleming <ronan.mt.fleming at gmail.com> wrote on 05/07/2010 12:16:59:

[SNIP]

> 5) In /etc/nxserver/node.conf, I have set
> SAMBA_MOUNT_SHARE_PROTOCOL="both"

It should be all cifs now, (unless your distro is a bit out of date) so
it's better to have

SAMBA_MOUNT_SHARE_PROTOCOL="cifs"

> Upon login to the server, the session starts as normal, except for the
> NXServer Message
>
> info: Share '//boltzmann/downloads' failed to mount: mount error(13)
> Permission denied

They aren't very informative error messages.

First
Make sure you can connect to the samba share without going via NX.

eg. on the workstation . . .
mkdir /tmp/mountpont

mount.cifs //boltzmann/downloads /tmp/mountpont -ouser=rfleming

This ensures you are set up with a password in samba
and the share exists etc

> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>
> I notice that a server folder has been created in
> /home/rfleming/MyShares/ with the following permissions
> drwxr-xr-x  2 rfleming sambashare 4096 2010-07-05 10:54 downloads

. . . good . .

> However, no files from the local machine are in it. I tried looking
> for a solution, but did not find one. I know what to try next, please
> could someone advise? Thanks in advance,

If you are using

        /sbin/mount.cifs
        /sbin/umount.cifs

you need to set them uid to allow an ordinary user account to do the
mount.

If it still doesn't work . . .

Rather than keep re-connecting to FreeNX, you can test samba manually,
from within your NX session, using the command ( all on one line )

/sbin/mount.cifs //boltzmann/downloads
        /home/rfleming/MyShares/downloads
        -ouser=rfleming,ip=127.0.0.1,port=nxagent-port

(You will need to umount it manually if it works)

where you find your nxagent-port by running . . .

        netstat -napt|grep nxagent

and looking for the :port in the 4th field for YOUR nxagent session
eg. the 4001 from

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     1234/nxagent

If you
        telnet localhost 4001 ( in this example, from within your nx
session )

and the tunnel is up through to your workstation ,you should see a new
smbd start up on your workstation with the current time eg 10:11 in field
5

ps -ef|grep smbd

root     1234       1  0 09:01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s
/etc/samba/smb.conf
root     1240  1234  0 09:01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s
/etc/samba/smb.conf
root     1250  1234  0 10:11 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s
/etc/samba/smb.conf

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ