[FreeNX-kNX] Initial sshd connection failing for user nx with nxclient, but not with ssh

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sun Jul 4 14:58:39 UTC 2010

Freek de Kruijf <f.de.kruijf at gmail.com> wrote on 04/07/2010 14:12:58:

> No the machine I am connecting from is the same. However I do not
> use nxclient for the tests, but I use "ssh -i <file-with-key>
> nx@<nxserver>

??? OK, I see where I've been misunderstanding you.

When you said you could log in using ssh, I thought you meant you
couldn't log in on the same machine with the nxclient but you could
using ssh, when in fact you just mean that the nx account is locked
to ssh even though it shouldn't be.

Right, I see you have been comparing two servers, and
nx@<nxserver> is the other one.
I didn't spot the host name difference in the your logs even
though I copied entries from the two postings.

Silly me. This is the problem of doing two things at once.

Well

I think they've made a few changes in pam's account locking,
with /etc/nologin.
I think it's moved to account instead of auth though I'm not
sure of the details without looking it up.

Who knows what else has changed . .

On the other hand it could be you found a bug somewhere.

Maybe
        password: nullok
isn't working (if you have it set)

Try giving the nx account a password as a test.

There is also maybe uid >= 500 or some such in the pam.d
files.

Try setting up a new account with no password and see if you
can ssh to it.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ