[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX and softphone

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:13:50 UTC 2009

2009/3/18 lewis schmidt <lewis.schmidt at gmail.com>:
> hmm, well I'd like to hear you all think it works on a lan.  My experience
> with tcp based secure connections with realtime audio/video has been
> horrible.  If there were ever an implementation of a FreeNX udp based
> connectivity we could see a realistic use of realtime audio/video.  (Let me
> clarify, you can hear a recorded audio file fine but if it is streaming
> audio or a "flavor" voip set up via freenx it's chop, chop, pop, whistle,
> delay, feedback.)

> love freenx, just not a universal connectivity app "yet".  Please inform me
> if there is a way to make freenx work with audio/video in realtime.  Until
> that time i will continue to play with openvpn for audio/video and freenx
> for desktop access.

I'm not sure I understand. Video and audio is not synchronized, so watching
a video file with speech, will not work well. Audio by itself, though, should
work nicely, and since this thread deals with VoIP, I think synchronization
issues with audio/video is irrelevant. Why would the audio source have any
impact on the quality, whether it's "recorded" or streamed? You also talk
about tcp-based secure connections in regard to realtime a/v. I strongly
believe that the encryption is irrelevant unless you're on a _very_
slow client.
The realtime issue is irrelevant. FreeNX does not sync audio and video in
any case; encrypted or not.