[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX and softphone

lewis schmidt lewis.schmidt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:23:12 UTC 2009

hmm, well I'd like to hear you all think it works on a lan.  My experience
with tcp based secure connections with realtime audio/video has been
horrible.  If there were ever an implementation of a FreeNX udp based
connectivity we could see a realistic use of realtime audio/video.  (Let me
clarify, you can hear a recorded audio file fine but if it is streaming
audio or a "flavor" voip set up via freenx it's chop, chop, pop, whistle,
delay, feedback.)
love freenx, just not a universal connectivity app "yet".  Please inform me
if there is a way to make freenx work with audio/video in realtime.  Until
that time i will continue to play with openvpn for audio/video and freenx
for desktop access.
TIA

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>wrote:

> lewis schmidt wrote:
> > I'm afraid that will not work very well because tcp vs udp differences.
> > Choppy, walkie talkie.
> > Ssh uses tcp
>
> Tcp will impose retry delays if you drop packets - and may be configured
> to add the Nagle delay to aggregate small writes, but if you don't drop
> packets (and you shouldn't on a wired LAN) and set TCP_NODELAY on the
> socket (not sure what ssh does there) you shouldn't see much difference.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com
>     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
>    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:

>         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
>                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/

Lewis
321-276-0718