[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Development

Boris Savelev boris.savelev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:24:57 UTC 2009

2009/3/1 Marcelo Boveto Shima <marceloshima at gmail.com>:
> I think we should try keep the sources identical, or almost identical.

of course. I should be glad if all works out-of-box with one central repo.

> So I took a look at your branch and decided to dim the diff.
> The diffs seems to be:
>
>   - Install nxredir to $PATH_LIB/freenx-server. Please take a look at
> attached nxredir_path.diff
>       with this approach you can change the path of nxredir only on
> nxloadconfig instead of all
>       places. If you agree with it will push to bzr too.

My patches looks like a hack, because they written in small time in
introduction of freenx terminal solution. They are realy hack-))

>   - Look for nxclient at /usr/bin. Committed to bzr.
>
>   - Disable SSHD_PORT detection. Different approach on bzr (fall back to
> port 22 if ssh
>       config file is not readable)
>
>   - Disable Xsession bootstrap. Different approach on bzr (configurable on
> nxloadconfig,
>        disabled by default like previous behavior)
>
>   - Cups/Cifs changes.
>        How faster SHARE_FAST_MOUNT is?
in original cmd_node_smbmount run in background, and redirected samba
port haven't time to be redirected on slow connection.
run cmd_node_smbmount normaly solve that problem, but it can be a coincidence.

>        Export cups on samba. Committed to bzr.
>        Force shares umount. Committed to bzr. But SMBUMOUNT instead of
>             SMBUMOUNT_CIFS keeped.

I switch smb off, because it deprecated in linux kernel. on my kernel
(2.6.25), unmounting smb share, when the redirected port is closed by
freenx, impossible. only one solution to umount -- reboot.

>   - fixkeyboard.
>       I don't know about this. Seems it is dependent on user configurations
> (.Xkbmap or
>       .Xmodmap). I made a patch to nxagent that exports the nxclient
> keyboard
>       configurations. Maybe it can be useful.
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~freenx-team/nx-x11/pkg-nx-x11/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches//93_export_remote_keyboard_config.dpatch

Ok. I'll try it.
fixkeyboard -- script that run xkbmap with config (common or user).
This actual for user with more than one keyboard layout.

Here patches from linuxforum.ru to nx.
http://git.altlinux.org/people/boris/packages/?p=nx.git;a=blob;f=nx-X11-dimbor.patch;h=94227307b000faf8c45114452b0bb7fd2f67ba9c;hb=HEAD
This fix non-ascii character for windows titles in rootless mode.

http://git.altlinux.org/people/boris/packages/?p=nx.git;a=blob;f=nx-X11-utf8_copy_clipboard.patch;h=2b9af24ee7ce302803ec25340cc5056688f9a071;hb=HEAD
This fix non-ascii character for swaps with nxclient and terminal
server clipboard. This patch is look like hack. I think it must be
rewritten, because he is not always work...

> Regards.
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Boris Savelev <boris.savelev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Your plans listen good!
>> I'm maintainer of freenx in Russian project Sisyphus
>> (http://www.sisyphus.ru/). On that project based ALTLinux distro (
>> http://altlinux.org ).
>> Here (
>> http://git.altlinux.org/people/boris/packages/?p=freenx-server.git;a=summary
>> ) my git-tree with latest SVN, commits from launchpad.net and my own
>> commits. Maybe it can be helpfull.
>> I very interested in freenx, and can quickly react and testing yours
>> commit in bzr.
>>
>> PS: Sory for my English -)
>>
>> 2009/2/28 Marcelo Boveto Shima <marceloshima at gmail.com>:
>> > Seems that Fabian has started the migration to github. But the version
>> > there
>> > is the same as the svn one. So no development is been made upstream.
>> >
>> > I think he should name a release manager to help him.
>> >
>> > I am maintaining a branch on launchpad:
>> > https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~freenx-team/freenx-server/teambzr
>> > I use this branch to maintain the Ubuntu packages. And the patches
>> > posted
>> > on the list I push to the branch, if appropriate. So I think it is the
>> > most
>> > updated repository.
>> > There are some features like shadowing local X sessions and stubs for
>> > guest sessions.
>> >
>> > Future:
>> > Coding on FreeNX as it is now is a dead end. It needs a rewritten.
>> > freenx-redesign isn't stable and seems to be abbandoned. So I started
>> > to code a session manager for use with freenx. This session manager
>> > is written with python, uses some components from freenx-redesign,
>> > provides dbus interfaces and integrates with consolekit.
>> > It planned to be legacy free with freenx or freenx-redesign as a
>> > compability layer. With a legacy free client we can add lots of
>> > features,
>> > ex: pulse audio integration, port redirection, seamless integration,
>> > application launchers, avahi support and others.
>> >
>> > The roadmap is to move one by one the freenx features to the session
>> > manager. Right now, it starts the sessions and provides infrastructure
>> > manage them.
>> >
>> > Any help appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Regards.
>> Boris Savelev
>>     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
>>    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:
>>
>> http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ
>>
>>         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
>>                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/

>     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
>    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:

>         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
> [...]

С уважением, Борис Савельев