[FreeNX-kNX] nxproxy usage?

Joshua Kinard joshua.kinard at sdc-world.com
Wed Jun 24 17:50:06 UTC 2009

Having a blonde moment here, but I'm attempting to run the commands in an ssh shell and seeing how far I can get.  Figured out (somewhat) how to start the agent:

nxnode --startsession <ENTER>
<bunch of silly options>

Then it prints out stuff that indicates that the session is running and sits there.  Now I have roughly ~60 seconds to get nxproxy running before the agent gives up, packs its bags, and goes home.  But running nxproxy is confusing me, and the directions aren't exactly clear on what I should be passing it.

Quote from http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03C00171:
8. Then in another shell (or in background), please invoke nxproxy with the proper parameters. Parameters can be passed on the command line or in the options file, usually created in the session directory, in $HOME/.nx:
    nxproxy -S options=path to options file/options:Session display
The only folder I have in ~/.nx while the agent is running is in the format of C-$HOSTNAME-$DISPLAY-$UNIQUEID, where $DISPLAY and $UNIQUEID come from the params I passed to nxnode --startsession.  The example given for nxproxy indicates it's looking for a folder that starts with S-, not C-.  If I pass it the C- path + /options, it notes that it is ignoring several options, then quits after trying to bind to the same TCP port that the agent is already sitting on, which causes it to error out.

Now, this is assuming nxproxy should be run from the server ssh session, as that's what the instructions seem to imply.  Am I supposed to be switching back to the client, where nxproxy is available, and running it from there, copying (as fast as I can) my parameters from the server, creating the S-$HOSTNAME-$DISPLAY-$UNIQUEID directory, populating the options file, then launching nxproxy?  If so, that will be difficult to scriptify in bash or something.

The way I'm reading the documentation, is that nxnode --startsession and nxproxy get run on the server side, and somehow, another utilitiy runs on the client to connect.  Right now, my environment is a RHEL5 system as the server, and a Debian Etch-based thin client as the client.  The thin client only has the standard NoMachine nxclient on it (thus no nxproxy), while the RHEL5 has nx and the freenx server RPM.

How I'm currently kludging things:
1. Sitting on the thin client, doing dual SSH sessions to the server with X11Forwarding enabled.  One session invokes nxnode --startsession, and feeds it some values that I partially autogenerate quickly by hand (i.e., run a script, copy+paste output).  The agent invokes and starts a session.

2. Second session to the server invokes nxproxy.  This is where I'm stuck.  According to the documentation, nxproxy is supposed to load here, and then I switch back to session 1 and log off of the ssh session, thus dropping back to the client.  What I'm supposed to do after this, I'm, not sure.  NX's guide ends at this point.

Anyways, long read, but if anyone has pointers as to what I'm doing wrong, let me know.  Still got ~4 more hours to crack at it, though!

Thanks!

Joshua Kinard