[FreeNX-kNX] Automatically respawning FreeNX sessions after reboot

Pat C patc at pcoreventures.com
Wed Jun 24 17:34:22 UTC 2009

I currently have FreeNX running on Ubuntu Server 8.04.

I was wondering if it is possible to respawn user sessions in the event of a
server reboot.  Ideally, in the event of a server reboot, I would like the
server to automatically restart the X sessions of all active users that were
previously running (not necessarily saving state, but restarting the window
manager) as well as any user-specified applications/windows (such as Firefox
or a program running in wine).

That way, if a user connects to a FreeNX server after it has been rebooted,
they will find a session they can connect to which has their windows manager
and any selected apps running (although state does not necessarily have to
be saved).

I know that this is possible in Windows by having programs start up as a
service and bound to the console.  Then when you RDP into the server and
connect to the console session, you find those programs already running.
The closest example I could find for Windows is something like this:

http://helpdesk.commercialnetworkservices.net/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=157

Is this possible with Linux and FreeNX?

Pat
patc at pcoreventures.com