[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:12:18 UTC 2009

Chris Fanning wrote:

>> Alternatively, run tcpdump for a while on the box hosting the nx server
>> and then use ethereal/wireshark to analyze it.

Wireshark can do the capture just as well as tcpdump.  For a one-off
snapshot that's the easy way - let it capture a few minutes, then look
at statistics by endpoint or conversation and click the tcp tab.

> What about this? I just measure all traffic coming out of the freenx
> server toward the clients.
> I thought I could just devide the bandwith average by the number of users.
> That's a rough guide unless I'm missing something.

If you want to analyze over longer periods, look at ntop.  It gives you
a nice web interface and will summarize about any way you might want.
Note that you will only see the traffic going through the machine where
you are running ntop/wireshark.  If there are other ways traffic can get
to your router, you'll have to bridge the ports with a hub or a managed
switch that lets you monitor other ports.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com