[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Mon Jun 22 22:40:28 UTC 2009

Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com> writes:

> Well yes, it's ADSL. At the cluster we have two. One only does nx
> traffic, the other does everything else. We won't have access to
> ethernet for a couple of years yet. When I plugged the cluster in we
> saw almost imediately that CUPS traffic killed the desktop experience.
> Not only the branch office that was printing, but all offices suffered
> from the print job. Things are better now with an nx lline.

Normally the ADSL uplink capacity is very low like 512k (that's why the
A is for assymetric), and that is being shared by all your branch
offices, so if your nx server is connected over ADSL you will quickly
run out of bandwidth on your link. If the print jobs are being sent over
the same link, that could easily be where your problem is--at the server
end, not on the client, which probably has at least 2 mb capacity in the
downlink direction.

I would seriously look at getting a better link at the nx server
site. If you can't, maybe colocating your nx server in a data centre
would be the way to go.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>