[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Jun 22 22:39:26 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009, Chris Fanning wrote:
> > BTW, performance issues are very likely over ADSL if users are
> > downloading files or doing large data transfers as the latency may
> > become very high.
> >
> > I would say you definitely need QoS or some kind
> > traffic shaping. I am assuming of course that your nx server is not on
> > an ADSL link--if it is, then that will be a major problem due to the low
> > uplink speed and latency of ADSL.
>
> Well yes, it's ADSL. At the cluster we have two. One only does nx
> traffic, the other does everything else. We won't have access to
> ethernet for a couple of years yet. When I plugged the cluster in we
> saw almost imediately that CUPS traffic killed the desktop experience.
> Not only the branch office that was printing, but all offices suffered
> from the print job. Things are better now with an nx lline.
>
> People downloading things isn't a problem becuase it's all downloaded
> at the desktop host. Sure, somtimes you can't browse that fast but
> it's still acceptable, and nx traffic isn't affected.
> The problem are the other 'corporate' services that uh.. run on
> proprietary software. .Net and Abode are plooking me. They run at the
> branch offices and are network hogs.
>
> just a thought. I don't deal with the provider. So, is there some
> trick I can do to get the providers routers to shape for me?

If you can't replace the provider's router with one that you can control then
you could try to put a router of your own between the provider's router and
the rest of your network, and do the traffic shaping on that. This assumes
that the provider's router isn't doing any shaping of its own. I use a
variation on the wondershaper script on my ADSL line, using the HFSC queue
discipline in place of the usual one. This has the advantage of considering
latency as well as bandwidth when shaping, but takes some careful
consideration when configuring it.