[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:09:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Mario Becroft<mb at gem.win.co.nz> wrote:
> Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I didn't know of iftop.
>> It has helped me understand what's happening.
>> What I have seen is that part of the problem are flash and grafically
>> active web sites. They use a lot of the available bandwidth on the
>> reserved nx adls link.
>> So I can do something about that. Maybe a cron job that gets the
>> number of running sessions from the freenx server and does some
>> traffic shaping on the fly.
>
> If you are using mozilla, it is essential that you install
> flashblock. This prevents flash from loading until the user clicks on
> it--we find that since in about 95% of cases the user does not wish to
> see the flash anyway (as it is mostly advertising), this solves the
> bandwidth-hogging problem and makes life better for users.

We are using flashblock. Unfortunately that doesn't stop some poeple
from activating the flash element and leaving the browser open all day
while they do other work :(
We are not many users and I am trying to educate them about this,
although that isn't really a correct solution.

> I still think you should not be running the nx server for all of your
> branch offices on an ADSL link. I expect if you moved it into a data
> centre you would notice a dramatic performance increase.

Yes, you are right. However, we only have an average of about 15
concurrent users. (the cluster has two desktop host nodes (I said it
was small ;) ).
Using iftop, I can see that each user uses about 4KB/s, peaking
occasionally at 40KB/s. Under these 'normal' conditions the adsl link
seems to be enough.
flash and other such sites can cause this to grow beyond 100KB/s per
user, it's that traffic I woud like to shape out.

Cheers,
Chris.