[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Mon Jun 22 10:42:58 UTC 2009

Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com> writes:

> I could measure all traffic coming out of the feenx server, but that
> would be overall bandwidth usage and I'm looking for a
> per-branchoffice count.

Surely you could look at the netflow data from your router and identify
the nx traffic to the individual branch offices based on the remote
address?

Alternatively, run tcpdump for a while on the box hosting the nx server
and then use ethereal/wireshark to analyze it.

BTW, performance issues are very likely over ADSL if users are
downloading files or doing large data transfers as the latency may
become very high. I would say you definitely need QoS or some kind of
traffic shaping. I am assuming of course that your nx server is not on
an ADSL link--if it is, then that will be a major problem due to the low
uplink speed and latency of ADSL.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>