[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:51:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Mario Becroft<mb at gem.win.co.nz> wrote:
> Chris Fanning <christopher.fanning at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I could measure all traffic coming out of the feenx server, but that
>> would be overall bandwidth usage and I'm looking for a
>> per-branchoffice count.
>
> Surely you could look at the netflow data from your router and identify
> the nx traffic to the individual branch offices based on the remote
> address?
>
> Alternatively, run tcpdump for a while on the box hosting the nx server
> and then use ethereal/wireshark to analyze it.

What about this? I just measure all traffic coming out of the freenx
server toward the clients.
I thought I could just devide the bandwith average by the number of users.
That's a rough guide unless I'm missing something.

> BTW, performance issues are very likely over ADSL if users are
> downloading files or doing large data transfers as the latency may
> become very high.

> I would say you definitely need QoS or some kind
> traffic shaping. I am assuming of course that your nx server is not on
> an ADSL link--if it is, then that will be a major problem due to the low
> uplink speed and latency of ADSL.

Well yes, it's ADSL. At the cluster we have two. One only does nx
traffic, the other does everything else. We won't have access to
ethernet for a couple of years yet. When I plugged the cluster in we
saw almost imediately that CUPS traffic killed the desktop experience.
Not only the branch office that was printing, but all offices suffered
from the print job. Things are better now with an nx lline.

People downloading things isn't a problem becuase it's all downloaded
at the desktop host. Sure, somtimes you can't browse that fast but
it's still acceptable, and nx traffic isn't affected.
The problem are the other 'corporate' services that uh.. run on
proprietary software. .Net and Abode are plooking me. They run at the
branch offices and are network hogs.

just a thought. I don't deal with the provider. So, is there some
trick I can do to get the providers routers to shape for me?

Cheers,
Chris.