[FreeNX-kNX] nx bandwidth monitoring

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:27:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

We are using a small freenx desktop cluster. It works well, thankyou
for freenx and nxlibs.

I have a network bandwith problem.
We have one ADSL line reserved especially for nx traffic between the
cluster and clients, and all other tcp traffic goes on a second link.
But client office branches only have one ADSL link.

NX traffic is not the only service running on the network and other
service are causing a (sometimes very) degraded nx user experience.
I would like to suggest to our network admin that we use QoS on the
routers to guarantee a good nx connection but before I do so I'd like
to monitor the nx traffic to get an idea of what is needed.
I'd like to know how much bandwidth is used for nx at each branch office.

I do not have controll over the routers at the offices.
All nx connections are handled by one freenx server at the cluster.
I do have the freenx server behind a firewall I do control.

I could measure all traffic coming out of the feenx server, but that
would be overall bandwidth usage and I'm looking for a
per-branchoffice count.

How should I go about that?

Thanks
Chris.