[FreeNX-kNX] Some stuff I need to disable/enable...

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Mon Jan 5 23:11:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 02:17:46 +0000
"Steven Maddox \(Cyorxamp\)" <s.maddox at cyorxamp.info> wrote:

> Lo,
>
> I previously posted about trying to do 'guests'... and I've evened up
> more confused.  So I've broken it down into these questions.
>
> a) How can I disable people resuming sessions - so they ALWAYS have a
> new session, even if already got one.

I don't know if this is possible "out-of-the-box" with the current FreeNX, so I would advice you to patch the scripts to achieve this.

> b) How can I always get it to 'terminate' the session upon closing the
> window, without prompting.

Again, you should look to the sources, I think...

> c) How can I disable (server side) the user from running anything but
> 'firefox -no-remote' ... so no GNOME, no KDE, no other command!

If I'm correct, you should be able to achieve this using the NXACL feature.

> d) Get the session.nxs file to include the password to automatically
> login (like how its used on the java plugin)

Dunno this.

> And bingo you've a java plugin that launches a web browser, which is
> what I need... everyone can log in as the same user without knowing,
> with multiple firefox's running :)  like a guest account!
>
> Every now and then at midnight I may make a cron that runs nxserver
> --cleanup
>
> Sound good?  Any ideas on these questions - the documentation is there
> for !N but FreeNX seems to do it differently :S
>
> Also anyone had issues using the NX Web Companion on a Vista system?
> it's flawless on everything but Vista machines as far as I can tell...
> gets stuck setting up the environment every time.

I think this might be fixed in later versions, but I might be wrong here.

What's your progress on this, Steven? Anywhere near a solution?

Regards,

Terje