[FreeNX-kNX] Reverse Connection with FreeNX

Federico Rosendo registrosnxuy at live.com.ar
Wed Feb 25 12:38:27 UTC 2009

>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> I'm looking for your help, I need to make a reverse connection with
>> FreeNX, like the reverse connection of VNC that the server connects
>> to the client and the connection is succeful, no router or firewall
>> configurations, can it be made? how?

> "Reversing" this mechanism doesn't look (to me) to be a simple task.
> You would also need to make a custom client (look at the FreeNX Client
> QtNX for GPL'ed code) that would accept the connection from the server.

Thank you Terje, for the client y thought about using socat or Revinetd, I must test it but I think that in the client I can install those apps to listen the connection, but the thing is that the server can't connect to the server(?)

> I seem to remember seeing something in the code to do with initiating
> the connection in either direction, but I don't know if it is actually
> usable.
> Have you thought of using a reverse ssh tunnel?

Thank you Mario Becroft, yes I thought about using a reverse ssh tunnel, but in that case we must have open ports on the router/firewall and we must begin the connection in the server to the client with no router or firewall configuration, that because I mention the VNC like connection, that in the server you specify the client (that is in listen mode) and the connection is made.

> The straightforward way would be to establish a vpn connection, perhaps
> with openvpn, going whichever direction works best through the firewall.
> Slightly more convoluted, but perhaps easier to accomplish would be a
> port-forwarding ssh connection established one direction, with the
> freenx client using the forwarded port to connect back.

Thank you Les Mikesell, but the "port-forwarding" that you mention must be configured in the router/firewall, isn't it ? We must begin the connection in the server that is behind a router firewelled and the client have port forwarding or is in a dmz it doesn't matter, the thing is to make the connection like vnc reverse connection.

Thank you for your help. I'm still waiting for a solution (if it can be made).