[FreeNX-kNX] Reverse Connection with FreeNX

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 21:51:42 UTC 2009

Terje Andersen wrote:

>  >
>  > I'm looking for your help, I need to make a reverse connection with
>  > FreeNX, like the reverse connection of VNC that the server connects
>  > to the client and the connection is succeful, no router or firewall
>  > configurations, can it be made? how?
>  >

> I won't say that it's impossible (nothing is impossible in the Open
> Source world :p), but I can't see any easy way of accomplishing this.
>
> VNC uses (AFAIK) a rather simple authentication mechanism, but the NX
> technology uses SSH (with pub/priv key) + user&password. "Reversing"
> this mechanism doesn't look (to me) to be a simple task. You would also
> need to make a custom client (look at the FreeNX Client QtNX for GPL'ed
> code) that would accept the connection from the server.
>
> Maybe I'm looking all wrong at this; a simple program (on the server)
> could send a special command to a custom client with info about the
> server/IP that it (the custom client) should initiate a connection to.
> That might be a more probable workaround to it...

The straightforward way would be to establish a vpn connection, perhaps
with openvpn, going whichever direction works best through the firewall.
  Slightly more convoluted, but perhaps easier to accomplish would be a
port-forwarding ssh connection established one direction, with the
freenx client using the forwarded port to connect back.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com