[FreeNX-kNX] Reverse Connection with FreeNX

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 13:40:13 UTC 2009

Federico Rosendo wrote:

>>> I'm looking for your help, I need to make a reverse connection with
>>> FreeNX, like the reverse connection of VNC that the server connects
>>> to the client and the connection is succeful, no router or firewall
>>> configurations, can it be made? how?
>

>> The straightforward way would be to establish a vpn connection, perhaps
>> with openvpn, going whichever direction works best through the firewall.
>> Slightly more convoluted, but perhaps easier to accomplish would be a
>> port-forwarding ssh connection established one direction, with the
>> freenx client using the forwarded port to connect back.
>
> Thank you Les Mikesell, but the "port-forwarding" that you mention must be configured in the router/firewall, isn't it ?

How is vnc able to connect for you?  Openvpn or ssh should be able to
connect the same way.  If you had to configure something for vnc, you
could be able to connect using port 5900 - or you can configure the same
way for port 22 for ssh or any tcp or udp port for openvpn.

> We must begin the connection in the server that is behind a router firewelled and the client have port forwarding or is in a dmz it doesn't matter, the thing is to make the connection like vnc reverse connection.
>
> Thank you for your help. I'm still waiting for a solution (if it can be made).

If you only have one firewall on the server side and it permits outbound
connections (NAT is OK), and the the client side has an open public
address, the vpn or ssh port-forwarding should work - you just need the
matching openvpn or sshd set up on the client.  If there is more
involved, you'll have to explain what makes a reverse vnc connection
work for you.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com