[FreeNX-kNX] NX Client stuck at "Negotiating link parameters"

mathis.schmieder at daimler.com mathis.schmieder at daimler.com
Mon Apr 20 10:28:35 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I am currently experiencing lots of problems setting up a working FreeNX
configuration. The usecase is connecting from Windows clients to Linux
workstations running RedHat Enterprise Linux 5. Our Windows and Linux
networks are heavily firewalled (one reason why we chose FreeNX), but SSH
connections are allowed. I have no problems whatsoever connecting to the
Linux network using my own account or the "nx"-account, public key
authentication works, too. When I try to connect using NoMachine's NX
Client, I get stuck at "Negotiating link parameters". Looking into the SSH
log file, every time NX Client reaches the negotiating part I get a
"channel 2: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed". I
tracked this down to some ssh tunneling problems but the only solution I
found was adding AllowTcpForwarding to the sshd_config, which I did, but
the problem still exists.
Even trying to connect from one Linux machine to another fails, I get the
same errors. The only way I could ever get a connection to work was
connecting locally with encrypt all traffic disabled.
To be honest I am absolutely out of ideas where to search and what to try,
so if anyone of you got a suggestion - that would be awesome!

Finally some versions:
RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
Freenx-server 0.7.3-11.el5
NXClient 3.3.0

Thanks in advance,
Mathis Schmieder

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.