[FreeNX-kNX] first contact, FreeNX

7th Sign | Iván Rico 7th_sign at soy-geek.com
Thu Jul 31 17:31:55 UTC 2008

> it's logging in initially with the user 'nx' - that's what the
> (pre)configured keys (the 'no-machine keys') are for. That's why you
> need to make sure that
>
> a)
> you can log into the machine using ssh

> b)
> that the nx keys are in place, allowing nx to login without a password.
> c) someone on this list will be able to explain that better than I.
> d) once nx can log in and is logged in, the user is switched to 'frank'.
>
> That's the 'no-machine-key' way, not the FreeNX way. That's why you give
> 'nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge' in order to
> make sure the keys ar in place.
>
> Also make sure that the correct ownerships of directories holding the
> keys are in place. On my server:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 4 root users 4096 12 jul 13:20 nxserver/
>
> - this may not be entirely correct...perhaps they really should be owned
> by nx, don't know. But it works..
>
> Further down, I have:
>
> -rw------- 1 nx root  671 12 jul 13:25 authorized_keys2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nx root  668 12 jul 13:20 client.id_dsa.key
> -rw------- 1 nx root  235 12 jul 13:20 known_hosts
> Gunnar:/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh #
>
> - hope this helps!

Hello again,

a) I can't log into my server by ssh
I got this:

ivan at dementor ~ $ ssh root at 192.168.1.247
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic).
ivan at dementor ~

This happens since I change these values to:
PasswordAuthentication no
AllowUsers nx root ivan
on sshd_config

b) I deleted the pass with, passwd -d nx but I have the same results

c) :)

d) I have a few questions about that: Who and How creates these files:
authorized_keys2, client.id_dsa.key?
I dont't have them in /etc/nxserver and I don't know where them are