[FreeNX-kNX] first contact, FreeNX

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Thu Jul 31 07:55:35 UTC 2008

Terje Andersen skrev:
> ----- Melding fra 7th_sign at soy-geek.com ---------
>     Dato: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:31:18 -0500
>      Fra: 7th Sign <7th_sign at soy-geek.com>
> Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
>     Emne: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] first contact, FreeNX
>      Til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
>

>  > Thanks
>  >  I followed the wiki and the FreeNX is installed on my Red Hat EL,
> but when
>  > I try to connect I get this message:
>  >
>  > NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 10645
>  > NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
>  > NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
>  > NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
>  > NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.1.247 on port: 22
>  > NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
>  > NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
>  > NX> 204 Authentication failed.
>  >
>  > any ideas?
>  >

> Please take a look at the FAQ (look at the bottom of this mail) for
> potential solution(s).
>
> Qouted from this FAQ:
>

>       Why is it trying to authenticate user 'nx' (while I'm trying to
>       connect with user 'frank') and why does the authentication fail?
>
>     The nx user is the special user that the NX Client and Server use.
>     The SSH session is set up for that user. Once it creates the ssh
>     session and talks to the client, it spawns another session for your
>     real user, 'Frank'. Someone put it well - the nx user is used to set
>     up a connection so you can get to a login prompt. This nx session
>     gets the login parameters and uses them to create the session for
>     your user. The key for the nx user that is distributed with the
>     nomachine client must match the key that is installed with the
>     server. That's why it is simpler to use the --setup-nomachine-key
>     option. That way you do not have to change the key for the client.
>     So, what you can do is forget about the nx stuff and just try to
>     create an ssh connection with the server for the nx user. So for a
>     connection to server 192.168.1.6:
>
>  # ssh -i /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key
> nx at 192.168.1.6
>
>     If that doesn't work, then you probably have the keys messed up on
>     the server. It is either the old key from your last install, or
>     maybe a permission problem. Try running:
>
>  # nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean
> --purge
>
> Regards,
>
> Terje

-hi

it's logging in initially with the user 'nx' - that's what the
(pre)configured keys (the 'no-machine keys') are for. That's why you
need to make sure that

a)
you can log into the machine using ssh
b)
that the nx keys are in place, allowing nx to login without a password.
c) someone on this list will be able to explain that better than I.
d) once nx can log in and is logged in, the user is switched to 'frank'.

That's the 'no-machine-key' way, not the FreeNX way. That's why you give
'nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge' in order to
make sure the keys ar in place.

Also make sure that the correct ownerships of directories holding the
keys are in place. On my server:

drwxr-xr-x 4 root users 4096 12 jul 13:20 nxserver/

- this may not be entirely correct...perhaps they really should be owned
by nx, don't know. But it works..

Further down, I have:

-rw------- 1 nx root  671 12 jul 13:25 authorized_keys2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nx root  668 12 jul 13:20 client.id_dsa.key
-rw------- 1 nx root  235 12 jul 13:20 known_hosts
Gunnar:/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh #

- hope this helps!