[FreeNX-kNX] simplest case

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Fri Apr 25 20:07:02 UTC 2008

I have the 3.2.0 NX sources compiled.  I want the simplest case to work
before I get more complicated.

Desire:
I'd like to have a remote X client display on my local X server.
Obviously, it sounds easy... but I have not found good examples.

Similar:
I want something like "ssh -X" or "rlogin / export DISPLAY" sort of
behavior.

Of course I know nxproxy is in the mix.  I've run the
nxscripts/run-nxproxy, but that only runs it locally and my brain seems
to have trouble expanding what that script is doing to a remote and
local setup.  I've also read the nomachine page (Building and Using NX
Open Source Components) -- but the networked example does not show how
to launch an X client.

I am able to get the nxproxy running on both sides and have a link, but
where do I set DISPLAY?  and what do I set it to? Must I use xauth?  Can
I just "xhost +"?

I think what I want is nxproxy-to-nxproxy or nxproxy-to-nxagent.

I'd appreciate some direction, even a link to some more specific
documentation.  An example of launching a remote xterm would be awesome.  :)

Thanks,
Scott

PS - I'll certainly share my build script (for RHEL3 and RHEL4) if
anyone wants it...  I have a nice self-contained networked/nfs install
directory with little dependencies and no LD_LIBRARY_PATH requirement.