[FreeNX-kNX] freenx + feisty + nomachine + emacs: fonts

Joe Baker joebaker at nelfc.com
Mon Sep 24 14:47:25 UTC 2007

The Emacs Font problem doesn't occur on the local X display, but on LTSP
thin clients and FreeNX clients I see the problem.

The Error message when Emacs starts up is...
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

I usually use emacs -nw  text_file_name to start it within a terminal
without X.  But an associate here at work installed a recent update and
tried it afterwards and reported to me that he saw boxes instead of
characters within the X GUI of Emacs' document window.  I've confirmed
the problem.  I'll report it on launchpad.net and to the LTSP folks.
Hopefully we can get this fixed.

Cheers!
-Joe Baker