[FreeNX-kNX] freenx + feisty + nomachine + emacs: fonts

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Sep 7 17:14:44 UTC 2007

> I'm using Freenx on Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 and Win XP and the nomachine
> client with nomachine's fonts.  Previously, my server ran Fedora 4.
> Since I switched over to Ubuntu, I haven't been able to use GNU EMacs
> over the freenx connection -- the fonts are not set correctly, so all
> I see are rectangles instead of letters.  This only seems to affect
> Emacs.

Can the bug be reproduced on a testdrive server? (www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php)

Can you change fonts on emacs? (perhaps via .Xdefaults file set some properties - "black magic" at work)

Can you see, which fonts emacs is trying to access? (strace or so)

You might want to test if its a FreeNX only problem by test-wise installing the commercial free-forever-edition server (perhaps beside the normal one).

cu

Fabian