[FreeNX-kNX] freenx + feisty + nomachine + emacs: fonts

ushomirs gregus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 00:22:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

I had a similar problem on Fedora Core 6 + Windows client.  xlsfonts was
reporting only ~ 300 fonts,
none of which were in the times or helvetica families, whereas I was trying
to run an application that required fonts in the above families. I was also
seeing strange Emacs behavior you described. After wasting all of last
Sunday messing with the various font path settings in
/etc/nxserver/node.conf, downloading the free server from !M and trying it
(same result), I finally realized that the problem must be on the client
side. Indeed, when I first encountered NX, I did a testdrive with their
server, which installed the plugin. I then downloaded the full client and
also installed all the additional fonts that !M provides. The fonts went
into C:\Program Files\NX Client For Windows.  However, when I looked at  the
"System Directory" under "Environment" settings of NX client, it was still
pointing at the plugin subdirectory, rather than the directory where the
full client was installed.  So it looks like the client was never finding
the additional fonts that I installed. It also appears that, upon
connection, the client and the server negotiate a lowest common denominator
in terms of installed fonts.  So, even though I had all the needed fonts on
the server, they must have been discarded during the negotiation process.

Anyway, bottom line:  check the "System Directory" under Environment setting
and be sure that it point to the directory where the client is installed,
rather than the plugin.

Hope this helps
Greg