[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Oct 31 10:18:28 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, cedric briner wrote:
> hello,
>
> Sorry for the title, but I do not know how to do to see you reacting.
> But I'm getting quite nervous with freenx and the fact that there is no
> way to install it (or maybe I'm just a poor moron). I mean what is the
> point of developing something when many people can't even install it.
> And I'm getting even more nervous because I do love this piece of
> software, which is radically awsome (when it works :P ). I even give
> some idea of icon and name for the freenx (Very Long Screen Cable)
> because I LOVE IT.

Glad you like it. Many people find it useful, and on many distros installation
is very easy because volunteers have produced nice packages. It seems nobody
is maintaining up-to-date versions for Ubuntu though.

> I've seen many post with people asking for a .deb with not even a reply
> to them! (I was sadly part of them). So the alternative for this people
> is to use the tarball, which is a demoniac process where many admins
> just died. The documentation is mmh... let me find... non-existante.

I didn't reply because I don't use Ubuntu and don't know where the packages
for it are, so I thought I would leave it to someone who could add something
useful. I have heard that some exist - a quick google (freenx ubuntu
packages) gives me these which should be added to the download page
(http://freenx.berlios.de/download.php) I don't have access to do this
though, and the wiki won't let me edit the Installation page at the moment
either.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
http://free.linux.hp.com/~brett/seveas/freenx/

I see this doesn't have packages for Gutsy or 0.7.x yet.

> I swear.. yes I swear... I tried hardly to install it. trying to
> construct from:
>   - the sources

The INSTALL file in the FreeNX sources looks reasonably clear to me. Have you
any specific problems with it that need addressing?

>   - the deb are too old

Did you try rebuilding the source packages under Gutsy? I don't use Ubuntu and
haven't used Debian for a long while, but IIRC it's a one liner using
apt-get. See for example:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

It should be reasonably easy to update the source package to use the current
versions too. If either of these work then perhaps you could share them?

>   - taking the tar file from nomachine and wishing to bind it with freenx

I've never tried this, and it is reputedly difficult.