[FreeNX-kNX] Slow windows in NXClient for MS Windows version

Joe Baker joebaker at nelfc.com
Fri Oct 5 15:36:24 UTC 2007

Olivier ARNAUD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having installed the latest Nomachine Nxclients (nxclient_3.0.0) on an
> Ubunutu PC, a Windows XP PC and a Windows Vista PC, I am noticing a very
> anoying latency on Window clients.
>
> When I am in a NX session (on whichever MS Windows client) the windows I
> move are slaggy, by opposed to the Linux client where everything I move
> goes really smoothly as if I were executing locally. (My configuration
> files are identical)
>
> During my windows sessions I noticed a 100% CPU consumption of NXwin.exe
> every time I move something (whatever object on the screen).
>
> I have tried to change the display custom settings, the screen size
> (full screen, available area, 1024x... etc..), I disabled the zlib
> compression all without success.
>
> I saw a similar issue described in the Nomachine KB but it applies only
> when in full screen.
>
> Does anyone have any idea?
>
> Thanks
> Olivier

I seem to see the slower response time on older windows 98 machines.  I
wonder if it is the compression overhead.  Maybe the default settings
are different between Linux and Windows 3.x clients.  I'm just glad the
Win98 clients work again.  For a while there was a problem with earlier
versions where some Win98 machines couldn't run NXClient.

-Joe Baker