[FreeNX-kNX] bad interaction with bash_completion (was: blank screen)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 7 02:09:02 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:45:06PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> OK, I found ths issue: node_start_applications sources
> ~/.bash_profile, this typically leads to sourcing /etc/profile.d/*.sh
> which contains the setup of bash_completion. For some reason this
> fails and control never returns to nxnode.

Ah, okay ...

Wow, thank  a lot for the debugging would have never guessed that it was that ...

> Removing bash_completion or the sourcing in of ~/.bash_profile works
> around this and freenx works! So it was all a ghost hunt all along. :/

Damn ...

To be honest I don't even remember who added that line (sourcing of profile and bashrc) initially ...

And I don't really know what happens if I remove it ...

But couldn't we at least add a workaround?

> {
>   # These declarations must go within braces in order to be able to
> silence
>   # readonly variable errors.
>   BASH_COMPLETION="${BASH_COMPLETION:-/etc/bash_completion}"
>   BASH_COMPLETION_DIR="${BASH_COMPLETION_DIR:=/etc/bash_completion.d}"
> } 2>/dev/null || :
>
> I think that at that time bash_completion has already been sourced in
> and the vars above have been set readonly, so sourcing it in another
> time breaks it.

What about unsetting those variables does that work?

> Question is can freenx avoid the first sourcing in? Maybe by using
> --norc?

hm ... Good question.

Tell me what I should commit and I'll happily do it :-)

cu

Fabian

PS: Thanks again a lot for bug hunting ...