[FreeNX-kNX] bad interaction with bash_completion (was: blank screen)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 7 01:43:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:45:06PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

OK, I found ths issue: node_start_applications sources
~/.bash_profile, this typically leads to sourcing /etc/profile.d/*.sh
which contains the setup of bash_completion. For some reason this
fails and control never returns to nxnode.

Removing bash_completion or the sourcing in of ~/.bash_profile works
around this and freenx works! So it was all a ghost hunt all along. :/

If one knows what to look for, one finds an old report on the CentOS
lists:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-October/053697.html

More precisely bash_completion bails out on

{
  # These declarations must go within braces in order to be able to silence
  # readonly variable errors.
  BASH_COMPLETION="${BASH_COMPLETION:-/etc/bash_completion}"
  BASH_COMPLETION_DIR="${BASH_COMPLETION_DIR:=/etc/bash_completion.d}"
} 2>/dev/null || :

I think that at that time bash_completion has already been sourced in
and the vars above have been set readonly, so sourcing it in another
time breaks it.

Question is can freenx avoid the first sourcing in? Maybe by using
--norc?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net