[FreeNX-kNX] Connection Timeout after Authentication Completed (Linux)

sub zero liquidhex at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:27:32 UTC 2007

Hi :(

Well, I tried totally from scratch basically.

I erased my user with the --deluser command as you said, I removed all of my
different keypairs that were in ~/.ssh just in case they were causing the
problem; and then I even generated a new nxkey and copied that into the
NXCLIENT..

Now, it wont even do the authentication completed.. It attempts to log in I
guess, then spits out a stupid "Server not installed or NX Server Disabled"
message.

The details button shows this for the output:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 21647
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 69.158.164.99 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

This is an absolute NIGHTMARE.

I ran the --checkconfig command, and this is what it shows me:

Error: Invalid value
"APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so.1:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2"
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_KDE=/usr/bin/ssh-agent
/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde"
         Users will not be able to request a KDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=/usr/bin/ssh-agent
/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session"
         Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
         Users will not be able to request a CDE session.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBMOUNT=smbmount". You'll not be able to
use SAMBA.
Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=smbumount". You'll not be able to
use SAMBA.
Error: Could not find 1.5.0 version string in nxagent. NX 1.5.0 backend is
needed for this version of FreeNX.

  Errors occured during config check.
  Please correct the configuration file.

Sigh.. I don't know how things went so horribly wrong when it was that exact
same walkthrough I followed...  There is absolutely no troubleshooting
support whatsoever.  I have never had such a hard time configuring something
in my life :(  This sounded like such a great thing but in actuality it is
way too complicated for the average beginner to get working;  I didn't even
touch the config file yet its riddled with all kinds of errors...

I guess it's time to give up unless someone else has some kind of idea whats
going on..

The most annoying part is how its giving so many authentication errors even
though I'm (Apparently) using the correct keypair, and what I know for SURE
is the correct password... What the heck happened :(

-Bigtime disappointed,
 Joe