[FreeNX-kNX] Connection Timeout after Authentication Completed (Linux)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 6 18:49:08 UTC 2007

> Hello there..  Thanks for the reply, but that IS the walkthrough I
> followed.

Okay.

> It still just sits there after the Authentication Completed but never
> actually does anything until it finally drops me for Connection Timeout.

Yes, because you used the adduser command, which might not even be supported on Fedora ...

> Can anyone else reccomend something?  I do appreciate the response, but
> can
> anyone read the output and figure out whats going on?

Sure, it tries to connect via SSH to the user using a public key and fails ...

> Why is it saying AUTHENTICATION COMPLETED, but then 1 minute later drop me
> with that "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host"
> message in the Details box?

Because the user was logged into the nxserver, but the nxserver could not log the user into the machine ...

> > > I google around, away from that HOWTO, and find an omitted (apparently
> > > important) step, so I execute
> > >
> > > nxserver --adduser myname
> > > nxserver --passwd myname

If its not in there, it should not be done ...

This got you in worse trouble ...

But you can undo it via:

nxserver --deluser <myname>

Unfortunately the FC5 RPMS do not yet have the newest debugging features ...

But anyway a /usr/NX/bin/nxloadconfig --check might reveal something.

I guess it can't find expect or there is some ssh misconfiguration ...

nx works as follows:

- nx user logs into server via public key ( first stage -> passed)

- nx user then uses:

read -s PASS # put in your password here
echo $PASS | /usr/NX/bin/nxnode-login ssh <user> <ssh port> /usr/NX/bin/nxnode --check ""

This should display like follows:

$ read -s PASS
$ echo $PASS | /usr/NX/bin/nxnode-login ssh ff 22 /usr/NX/bin/nxnode --check ""
Password:
NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 1.5.0-61-SVN OS (GPL)
NX> 716 finished
NX> 1001 Bye.

More help is not available at the moment.

cu

Fabian