[FreeNX-kNX] No /usr/NX directory after "yum install freenx"

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Apr 23 08:01:10 UTC 2007

On Sunday 22 April 2007 12:45, Thomas Pfrommer wrote:
> Hi freenx communty,
> finally I solved the authentication problem ... see previous thread ...
> I had to comment
>
> #AuthorizedKeysFile   .ssh/authorized_keys2
>

> in sshd_config and then I could at least connect to the server, however
> the session was right away closed, as no file /usr/NX/ ... was found. Hm
> it was not there!! Also strangely,  I couldn't find any nxserver
> application file.

On fedora the freenx application files live in /usr/bin and there is
no /usr/NX. There is no dependency on nxclient (I'm running without it on
FC6), but if you install it you get prettier suspend/terminate/cancel and
print driver selection dialogs.

> I did uninstall everything before and started from scratch, this time
> with yum install freenx, which takes care of installing nx before. I
> have the feeling, that I read somewhere in the last days that nxclient
> from No Machine should be installed instead of the nx ... but cannot
> remember and cannot find it any more. Hm But installing nxclient, and
> then trying to install freenx  (this time with rpm -ivh freenx..... )
> won't work either as freenx needs as dependency nx and not nxclient.
> Should I first install nx and freenx and then nxclient? How do I
> proceed. I am running FC6 with the 2.6.20 Kernel.
> Thanks a lot for your help so far and perhaps for the next steps !

From a fresh, updated FC6 run:
	yum install freenx
Configure your client to use the server's key /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key
This has worked for me on multiple FC5 and FC6 machines. It sounds like your
case is complicated by modified configs or earlier installs. Since you noted
the wrong location was being checked for the ssh keys you should check the
entry for user nx in /etc/passwd. It should look like this:
	nx:x:101:102::/var/lib/nxserver/home:/usr/bin/nxserver
In /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh are the keys and the authorized_keys2 file
which should be used by ssh.