[FreeNX-kNX] No /usr/NX directory after "yum install freenx"

Thomas Pfrommer pfrommer at phas.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 23 20:52:17 UTC 2007

Thanks for the answer and help.
So what I did is that I removed/uninstalled everything i could find and
had aconnection with nx/nxserver. Also I changed sshd_conf back to where
I think it was before.
(the only uncommented lines are:
Protocol 2
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel DEBUG1
StrictModes yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
UsePAM yes
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL
X11Forwarding yes
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
)
Did yum install freenx as root and got an errormassage that it could not
copy the keys into /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/ because there is no such
file. I have the feeling that should have been created by the
installation of nx which comes before freenx in yum. It did not.
the /etc/passwd file read almost as the line you wrote ... i.e.
nx:x:100:101::/var/lib/nxserver/home:/usr/libeexc/nx/nxserver

In all my attemps to get it to work i also tried the free version of
NoMachine but had the same errormassages, so i removed it again but
perhaps the user nx stayed in this file.  Perhaps I did not use userdel
nx in first place but removed files that had nx in it. Hm, mistake.
I would rather not install the entire OS again as i have now some
running programs that took me a while to install as well.

So after realizing that there is still an entrance for nx in passwd, I
deleted this line (userdel nx is not working as there is no such user
right now)
I also wanted to rpm -e freenx nx to start again from scratch, but it
failed. Apparently nx is not installed even though the previous yum
installation said it is -- as it could not creat the home directory in
/var/lib/nxserver it might not have been installed without telling me.
And freenx gives me following error massage and does not let me
uninstall it.
%preun(freenx-0.5.0-5.fc6.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

aarrggghhh sorry I guess I am just not  ready do all this stuff with
linux ..... (I know I should not have fiddled around in first place then
yum, which is for people like me would work and everybody would have
been happy ... )

How can I uninstall freenx properly ? and where could still be an
entrance line having nx in it which would make the nx-installation fail?

Hope I did not stretch your patience too much ...

Thank you all very much already for your help!!
Cheers
Thomas