[FreeNX-kNX] Unable to get freenx to work in RHEL3

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:58:06 UTC 2006

> - freenx is running:
> # /usr/bin/nxserver --status
> NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
> NX> 110 NX Server is running
> NX> 999 Bye

First, Freenx is *not* a service. When you "stop" the nxserver, all that
happens is the authorized_key2 file is renamed in
/var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/. Unless you actually "stopped" the nxserver
(nxserver --stop) you *never* have to worry about this step.

> - The username is listed:
> #/usr/bin/nxserver --userlist
>
> NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
> NX> 146 NX users list
>
> Username
> ---------------
> myuser
>
> NX> 999 Bye
>
> - myuser is able to ssh into this freenx box

Again, another thing that you don't have to do. *By default*, freenx is
setup to use pam as authentication, meaning any user on your box can
remote in. I suggest doing this: nxserver --deluser myuser
This *will not* remove your user, just nxserver's internal user.

> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
>
> NX> 204 Authentication failed.

The client.id_dsa.key file was not copied from the freenx server to your
client machine, and imported into your client session settings. It can
be found in /etc/nxserver on your freenx server.

> Am I missing something in freenx?
> Can someone help me?

Yes you are missing something. You downloaded the rpm's from:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx

This page spells *all* this out, and gives you a step-by-step howto to
configure your client.

Regards,

Rick Stout