[FreeNX-kNX] Unable to get freenx to work in RHEL3

Tom Kavanaugh tomnaugh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 22:32:43 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I first installed and setup the NX Free Edition for
Linux on a RHEL3 box. It worked perfectly.

Then I read about the FreeNX and downloaded and
followed the instructions in:
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Both these installs are in seperate RHEL3 boxes.
I am using the NX client 2.0 for Windows to connect to
both these boxes.

On the FreeNX box, I verified the following:
- freenx is running:
# /usr/bin/nxserver --status
NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
NX> 110 NX Server is running
NX> 999 Bye

- The username is listed:
#/usr/bin/nxserver --userlist
NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)
NX> 146 NX users list

Username
---------------
myuser

NX> 999 Bye

- myuser is able to ssh into this freenx box

Now when I try to connect to the freenx box using the
windows client, I see the following on the windows client:
"Server not installed or client access diabled"
And when I click on details I see:
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 4352
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: xx.xx.xx.xx on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Am I missing something in freenx?