[FreeNX-kNX] Updated Fedora RPM's

David Mansfield freenx at dm.cobite.com
Mon May 15 15:22:16 UTC 2006

Rick Stout wrote:
>> Unfortunately, on FC4 the 'custom/default script' would start
>> gnome-session (eventually) with the fonts correctly setup and with dbus
>> and with an ssh-agent.  Everything just perfect.  Now it starts TWM (uggh).
>>
>> The standard 'gnome' session type doesn't have dbus or ssh-agent which
>> is why I have to go to the 'custom/default script' in the first place.
>>

> Im going to have to research what the differences are in FC5 and FC4
> xstartup. I have found, however, that gdm is what actually calls
> ssh-agent and dbus-launch. The "proper" way to launch gnome-session is
> like this:
>
> /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
> /usr/bin/gnome-session
>
> running xinitrc, and even startx doesnt call ssh-agent. I will update
> the package so that nxloadconfig with start gnome-session the "proper"
> way.

I have figured out that if I put :

DEFAULT_X_SESSION=/etc/X11/xinit/Xsession

in node.conf, then custom/default gives me a properly working desktop.
I'm still using the RPM compiled from your SRPM from Feb/Mar though
(produced under FC5T2) so beware.

I took a look at what those scripts all do and it reminds me of that old
game 'zork'.  A twisty maze of little passages, all alike...

David