[FreeNX-kNX] Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquilitsystems.com
Fri Mar 3 11:14:21 UTC 2006

Hi Félix,

> We want to use NX instead of XDMCP to connect a client to a server over a slow
> connection.  So, I just tried out desktop type "xdm" under nxclient.  However
> I got the error message
>
>   Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server
>
> when trying to connect to a FreeNX server.  Is there some way to get xdm
> working under FreeNX, or is it not supported at all?

I was just testing the same feature, and I got the same result... I also
played with many kind of custom launcher, I could launch xfce using
"xfce4-session", but launching a "/usr/X11R6/bin/X -query xdmcp_server"
does not yeld anything...

> If it's not supported, I guess this isn't that bad: AFAICS, we could simply
> start X with "nxclient" as "window manager".  Then the interface for
> selecting the user is a bit different than that of kdm (that's the display
> manager we usually install), but users should've no trouble with it.

You may also launch a Xnest in the nx session... But anyway it is not
very nice solution.

Cheers,

Denis

--