[FreeNX-kNX] Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Mar 7 05:01:36 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 3. März 2006 11:32 schrieb Felix E. Klee:
> We want to use NX instead of XDMCP to connect a client to a server over a
> slow connection.  So, I just tried out desktop type "xdm" under nxclient.
> However I got the error message
>
>   Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server
>
> when trying to connect to a FreeNX server.  Is there some way to get xdm
> working under FreeNX, or is it not supported at all?

Just change AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X to include "-query myserver".

You won't be able to use any other sessions afterwards though.

A word of warning:

You could think of the scenario of having one anonymous account, which
displays the kdm login chooser and let all users have the real authentication
at that stage.

That won't work:

Suspend session => Every user could be able to reconnect to that session as
they all share the same account. Locking before suspend would help here, but
still one could run a "suspend"-DOS.

So: Why is xdm support a needed feature? What is the use-case scenario?

I could think of just one scenario: Load balancing and I prefer to do this
natively in the server.

cu

Fabian

--
      *** Consulting - Training - Workshops - Troubleshooting ***
   @@@ LiveCDs (Knoppix), Debian, Remote Desktop Access (FreeNX) @@@

--- Fabian Franz --- www.fabian-franz.de --- consulting at fabian-franz.de