[FreeNX-kNX] Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Fri Mar 3 10:32:58 UTC 2006

We want to use NX instead of XDMCP to connect a client to a server over a slow
connection.  So, I just tried out desktop type "xdm" under nxclient.  However
I got the error message

  Session type 'unix-xdm' is not supported by server

when trying to connect to a FreeNX server.  Is there some way to get xdm
working under FreeNX, or is it not supported at all?

If it's not supported, I guess this isn't that bad: AFAICS, we could simply
start X with "nxclient" as "window manager".  Then the interface for
selecting the user is a bit different than that of kdm (that's the display
manager we usually install), but users should've no trouble with it.

--
Dipl.-Phys. Felix E. Klee
Email: fk at linuxburg.de (work), felix.klee at inka.de (home)