[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX rocks.

Chetan Venkatesh chetan.venkatesh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 02:54:01 UTC 2006

The !M NX web companion product is meant more for IT departments or system
administrators to deploy (or publish) applications easily to their intranets
- its not a web plug in in the truest sense (like shock wave flash or other
Mozilla plug ins) as it doesn't render the remote application in the web
browser but only uses a web browser in to instantiate and run a Java applet
for authentication. The web plug in system still depends on an nx client
package (the same stuff you you download as standalone  - just differently
configured in the case of the web plug in) to connect and run the remote
session.

To an end user - it probably makes very little difference or value to use
the web plugin - its pretty much the same as using the stand alone client -
the only difference is that the session configuration file (nxs file) is
downloaded from a server in the case of the web plugin while the you will
have to create and save the session configuration (which is done
automatically for you ) by the stand alone client.

Making a stand alone installer for NX to run of a USB Flash drive is not too
complicated  - I can send a zip file that you can extract and copy to your
Flash Drive (about 10MB uncompressed) that allows you to run the stand alone
client from there.  You can take your session configuration files along with
you on your flash drive as well (.nxs files) - this option is the easiest
option in case the machines you are connecting to are not using the default
!M keys.

Over all I find that the stand alone client probably fits the needs of
mobility better than the web client does ( which I believe is a very robust
tool for publishing apps to an intranet for IT administrators and is really
not aimed at end users).

Let me know if you're interested in the USB Flash NX zip installer.

Cheers
Chetan