[FreeNX-kNX] nxclient for Windows silent installation not possible?

Doug Burks mubley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:13:10 UTC 2006

Hi Tomasz,

Below is an overview I sent to the NXUsers mailing list last May in
reply to a question similar to yours.  It may give you some ideas on
how to automate your installation.  Note that I use the "verysilent"
switch instead of the "silent" switch.  If you're still getting
prompted by the installer, you may want to consider using a program to
automatically "click" Yes or No for you.  One such application that
I've used is AutoIt:
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.php

Here's my overview from last May (it may or may not work with current
versions of the NX Client installer):
-DISCLAIMER:  There's probably a better way of doing all this, but the
following works for me.
-If you don't already have it, download and install InnoSetup.
-Gather your custom SSH key, my_nx.conf, my_nx.inf, and nxclient.conf
into your InnoSetup build directory.
-Copy the latest NoMachine NX Win32 installer (nxclient-x.x.x-xx.exe)
to the build directory.
-Create an InnoSetup .iss file like this (you may have to tweak or add values):
[Setup]
DefaultDirName={pf}\My NX
DisableDirPage=yes
DisableProgramGroupPage=yes
DisableFinishedPage=yes
DisableReadyPage=yes
DisableStartupPrompt=yes
[Files]
Source: nxclient-x.x.x-xx.exe; DestDir: {app}
Source: my_nx.inf; DestDir: {app}
Source: my_nx.conf; DestDir: {app}\config
Source: client.id_dsa.key; DestDir: {app}
Source: nxclient.conf; DestDir: {app}
[Run]
Filename: {app}\nxclient-x.x.x-xx.exe; Parameters: "/verysilent
/loadinf=""c:\program files\My NX\my_nx.inf"""; WorkingDir: {app};
StatusMsg: Installing NX client...
[Icons]
Name: {group}\My NX; Filename: {pf}\nx client for
windows\nxclient.exe; Parameters: "--config ""c:\program files\my
nx\nxclient.conf"" --session ""my_nx"""; WorkingDir: {app}; Comment:
My NX
Name: {userdesktop}\My NX; Filename: {pf}\nx client for
windows\nxclient.exe; Parameters: "--config ""c:\program files\my
nx\nxclient.conf"" --session ""my_nx"""; WorkingDir: {app}; Comment:
My NX
[UninstallRun]
Filename: {pf}\NX Client for Windows\unins000.exe
-Use InnoSetup to build your new Setup.exe.

OPTIONAL:
-You could probably add some scripting to the .iss file to copy your
custom SSH key to the proper directory.  I just put the scripting in a
file called copy_key.bat, included copy_key.bat  in the [Files]
section, and executed it in the [Run] section.
-I am customizing my_nx.conf on the fly by having the setup.exe ask
the user a question, and then piping the user response into a file
called customize.bat that runs sed.exe on the my_nx.conf file.
sed.exe and customize.bat are included in the [Files] section and
customize.bat is executed in the [Run] section.
-You could add the following to the [Run] section to have it
automatically start your new NX client at the end of Setup:
Filename: {pf}\nx client for windows\nxclient.exe; Parameters:
"--config ""c:\program files\My NX\nxclient.conf"" --session
""my_nx"""; Description: Launch My NX; Flags: nowait postinstall
skipifsilent
-If distributing on CD-ROM, write an autorun.inf file so that
setup.exe is launched automatically when the disc is inserted.

I hope this all makes sense and is a good starting point for you.
--
Doug Burks