[FreeNX-kNX] Freenx in VNC mode - problem

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Nov 9 09:46:37 UTC 2005

Ray schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have Freenx v0.4.4 and nx-1.5 on FC4 and working very good with NXClient 1.5 when I have use KDE or ather WM.
> But when I have setup NXClient to use VNC to connect with other computer with VNCServer via FreeNX I have problem. Session was freezing after few second and I must kill NXClinet. I tried many times with this same result. It is look like NXClinet with Freenx 0.4.4 don't work correctly in VNC mode.
>
> Ok I have changed to session with WM KDE and next I start VNCViewer and connect to VNCServer all working very good without any problems.
>
> What I must configure FreeNX to correct work in VNC Mode via NXClient ?

It seems it's a general problem mith FreeNX 0.4.4 and nx-1.5.0 - VNC
sessions just don't work in this cobination, with symptoms similar to yours.

I asked several times here about this VNC issue, but besides other
people reporting it doesn't work for them, noone confirmed that VNC
sessions actually work with FreeNX 0.4.4 and nx-1.5.0.

Noone confirmed that it is a non-issue with commercial NX, either.

I also asked at several Linux and distro specific mailing lists /
distro-devel mailing lists, but *noone* confirmed that VNC works with
FreeNX 0.4.4 and nx-1.5.0.
There were people reporting that VNC doesn't work since they upgraded to
FreeNX 0.4.4 and nx-1.5.0 though.

So IMHO VNC just doesn't work with FreeNX-0.4.4 and nx-1.5.0 (Windows
Terminal Sessions and X-sessions work fine), and the only way to resolve
this issue is to downgrade to FreeNX-0.4.0 and nx-1.4.0.

If I'm wrong, and there is a way to make VNC work with FreeNX-0.4.4 and
nx-1.5.0, please correct me.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org