[FreeNX-kNX] NX->RDP printing questions.

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 16:12:07 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005 18:48 schrieb Raul Carolus:
> Greetings,

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, but your thread was ordered completely wrong. (You
replied to a subject which had nothing todo with what you wanted to say)

> I have been playing with FreeNX using the Nomachine client for a while.
>     I'm investigating using it at work for remote desktop access.

Ok.

> Unfortunately, our application is a Windows only app, so we have been
> running it on Windows TS's.

Ok.

> Using FreeNX to compress the RDP connections has been really nice.  It
> uses only about 10% the bandwidth of straight RDP.

Cool.

> I'd like to use FreeNX to do a windows->freenx windows desktop option ->
> Terminal Server. The big stumbling block here is getting printers to
> work in this situation.

Ok.

> windows -> freenx kde desktop printing works ok.   I'd like to see if I
> can get windows -> freenx windows RDP -> ts printing to work.

Yes.

> I've read some docs on how freenx handles printing to a kde desktop,
> Does any one has any ideas how to extend this to a nx rdp session?

Yes, you use the standard IPP_PORT=<port> rdesktop -r printer=myprinter
facilities, but you would need newer nx/rdesktop.

For now, I'd like you to try to login via NX and use the custom command to
directly start rdesktop. (See if its much slower than nxdesktop directly ...)

The idea behind this is, that if you can print from your KDE session, you can
also print from your rdesktop session directly with driver settings taken as
the KDE defaults ...

You could even extend this to replace the lpr command in rdesktop with
kprinter so you would have a nice driver settings dialog for each printed
document _before_ printing it almost seamlessly to your local printer.

> I have an idea, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has one.

Could you at least present it? ;-) Other mights want to hear it too ...

> Two other things:
>
> Is there an open source windows client for NX?

Yes, nxrun on freenx.berlios.de is also avialable for Windows.

cu

Fabian