[FreeNX-kNX] NX->RDP printing questions.

Raul Carolus rcarolus at lightyeardt.com
Mon Jul 11 16:38:11 UTC 2005

> sorry for the late answer, but your thread was ordered completely wrong. (You
> replied to a subject which had nothing todo with what you wanted to say)

I have a habit of replying to emails rather than starting a new one.  My
bad.

>>I've read some docs on how freenx handles printing to a kde desktop,
>>Does any one has any ideas how to extend this to a nx rdp session?
>

> Yes, you use the standard IPP_PORT=<port> rdesktop -r printer=myprinter
> facilities, but you would need newer nx/rdesktop.
>
> For now, I'd like you to try to login via NX and use the custom command to
> directly start rdesktop. (See if its much slower than nxdesktop directly ...)
>
> The idea behind this is, that if you can print from your KDE session, you can
> also print from your rdesktop session directly with driver settings taken as
> the KDE defaults ...
>
> You could even extend this to replace the lpr command in rdesktop with
> kprinter so you would have a nice driver settings dialog for each printed
> document _before_ printing it almost seamlessly to your local printer.
>

>>I have an idea, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has one.
>

> Could you at least present it? ;-) Other mights want to hear it too ...

Sure, I wanted to get some feedback first to see if I was on the right
track.  I may be with your response above.

Let's see if I can remember it.  When connecting to a linux session from
windows, samba is initiated to mount up the printers/shares when the
session is started.  However, when selecting windows/rdp from the
session type, the ability to select shares is disabled.  Looking in the
code (nxnode, i think, it's been a while), it appears that when the RDP
option is selected, it automatically starts nxdesktop for you.  What I
was thinking was to enable the windows shares on the client, and have
the login/session start code mount up the printers/shares before
starting nxdesktop, and performing your above command to start the
nxdesktop connection.

So it all happens seamlessly and transparent to the user.  Am I on the
right track?

As a side note, I haven't been able to get my KDE session to print back
to my windows machine.  I'm probably doing things wrong.

>>Is there an open source windows client for NX?
>

> Yes, nxrun on freenx.berlios.de is also avialable for Windows.

That's the command line thinger right?  I have that and it works fine.
I should have asked if there was one with a gui.  heh.  If not, I can
probably add one when I get time.

Thanks,

Raul