[FreeNX-kNX] Request for Testing: Development Update: 0.4.2-CVS

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Jul 5 00:53:31 UTC 2005

Am Montag, 4. Juli 2005 08:31 schrieb Nicholas Lee:
> On 7/4/05, Fabian Franz <FabianFranz at gmx.de> wrote:
> > @All Gnome-Users:
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why gnome does not start if started with
> > gnome-session. Could you run a unix-custom, xterm session and do a
> > gnome-session from there and see where it hangs?
>
> I had this problem with 0.4.0 on ubuntu. gnome-session ie. default
> gnome wouldn't start, but I could get just gnome-panel to start.

Strange. I tested Gnome 2.8 on a Knoppix and I could not reproduce it ... :-/

> However, I just tested in with 0.4.1 on the same machine and it seems
> to boot into gnome. Sound works.  An error message regarding XKB comes
> up.

Ok.

> Second time with a custom xterm to gnome-session, the top panel work.
> See also 2nd session error message in attactment.
>
> Third time, with straight gnome again. Top panel worked fine.
>
> Note in all three sessions, sound worked fine and the XKB error
> message appear before gnome started loading.
>
> The above was with the WinXP client.

Ok.

> I just double checked my OSX client. Its still getting the same
> problem. Blank screen with gnome. Nothing visable loading.
>
> When starting for a custom xterm, I get a few 100, Usage:program_name
> [address][:port]Usage:program_name [address][:port]Usage:program_name
> [address][:port]Usage:program_name [address][:port]....

Huh? That is really strange.

What happens if you disable sound forwarding / services / ... ?

> Sorry can't cut and paste the message. Still trying to get OSX to play
> nice with X11.

Hm ...

> I did get the message that gnome pulls up the first time it loads:
>
> "The X system keyboard settings differ from your current GNOME
> keyboard settings.  Which set would you like to use?"  Then choice
> between X and Gnome.

Yeah, I found that too. But I got it also on a normal X-Server so that at
least is GNOME-related.

> From the xterm and loading gnome-session it seems to run correctly,
> expect for the error messages.

Hm ...

> Note, I'm still using the 1.4 NX libs.

... me too ...

Well if I can't reproduce it I can't fix it. Can anyone provide me with a
remote account for a failing GNOME session or get a good trace with starting
a gnome-session in xterm ...

cu

Fabian