[FreeNX-kNX] Request for Testing: Development Update: 0.4.2-CVS

Nicholas Lee emptysands at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 06:31:07 UTC 2005

On 7/4/05, Fabian Franz <FabianFranz at gmx.de> wrote:
> @All Gnome-Users:
>
> Does anyone have any idea why gnome does not start if started with
> gnome-session. Could you run a unix-custom, xterm session and do a
> gnome-session from there and see where it hangs?

I had this problem with 0.4.0 on ubuntu. gnome-session ie. default
gnome wouldn't start, but I could get just gnome-panel to start.

However, I just tested in with 0.4.1 on the same machine and it seems
to boot into gnome. Sound works.  An error message regarding XKB comes
up.

First time I ran straight Gnome it asked to choice between X's or
Gnome's keyboard settings. Unfortunately didn't grab that screen.  The
top panel with the menus on Ubuntu was froozen and even HUP and TERM
signals couldn't get it to function. The bottom panel and right click
on the desktop worked. I had to kill the session using nxserver
--terminate 'self'. As I couldn't remeber the application that handled
logouts in gnome.

Second time with a custom xterm to gnome-session, the top panel work.
See also 2nd session error message in attactment.

Third time, with straight gnome again. Top panel worked fine.

Note in all three sessions, sound worked fine and the XKB error
message appear before gnome started loading.

The above was with the WinXP client.

I just double checked my OSX client. Its still getting the same
problem. Blank screen with gnome. Nothing visable loading.

When starting for a custom xterm, I get a few 100, Usage:program_name
[address][:port]Usage:program_name [address][:port]Usage:program_name
[address][:port]Usage:program_name [address][:port]....

Sorry can't cut and paste the message. Still trying to get OSX to play
nice with X11.

I did get the message that gnome pulls up the first time it loads:

"The X system keyboard settings differ from your current GNOME
keyboard settings.  Which set would you like to use?"  Then choice
between X and Gnome.