[FreeNX-kNX] Request for Testing: Development Update: 0.4.2-CVS

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Jul 4 01:44:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

for all of you having had stray processes, zombie files left in /tmp/, zombie
sessions left in session listing and so on ...

Please try newest CVS! (Yes, CVS not SVN)

I plan to make another bugfix release from CVS soon, but would like it to be
tested before I release to really have all bugs sorted out.

So:

NOW is the time for your bugreports (after having installed CVS of course) to
be either replied to these thread or inserted into the BerliOS Bugtracker.

I spent at least I think 10 hours to stabilize the whole thing, but I guess I
still do not have found all corner cases.

Anyway it should be miles more "robust" than 0.4.1.

It should even cleanly manage a reboot of the server (sending TERM signal of
course ...), after a power outage you have to manually terminate all running
sessions or use the new command:

nxserver --cleanup, which terminates _all_ running sessions and is the same
as:

nxserver --terminate "*", which is also new. (There also now is nxserver
- --suspend "*" though I do not know how helpful this is.)

As a side effect to the code-review I've done I found that I completely forgot
to implement PNG-encoding. Its also included now. Sorry, for that.

@Jonachen: As you were one of those having found and reported most problems
regarding these issues, it would really be great if you could redo your tests
with newest CVS.

@All Gnome-Users:

Does anyone have any idea why gnome does not start if started with
gnome-session. Could you run a unix-custom, xterm session and do a
gnome-session from there and see where it hangs?

I would like this bug also to be fixed ...

@All Users: Please report all outstanding issues and so on which you'll still
have with FreeNX. It might be that you'll use 0.4.2 for quite some time until
0.5.x stabilizes again ...

cu

Fabian