[FreeNX-kNX] patches for nxc, nxrun - The client for all

Sunil funtoos at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 01:50:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

After endless queries for solaris x86 nxclient, I
figured I wasn't getting anywhere. I decided to take
the nxrun path and got it to work on OpenSolaris.
Attached are the patches for nxrun against the latest
cvs tar (I call it nxc-0.5). Whoever is maintaining
those sources, please consider these for inclusion.

0. minimal protocol change patch: the name of the
proxy log is changed. This is typically seen as a hang
of the nxrun after the connection has been
successfully established. Moreover, the cache
parameter was duplicated for restoring cache which
disabled the NX protocol compression completely
because cache='1' is not valid size for memory cache.
As a quick hack, I just changed string for "Restore
Cache" to rcache which is not used by server.

1. fread patch: strange bug/feature with solaris fread
is that once the EOF is reached in a process on a
file, it is not reset if someone else writes to that
file. so, subsequent freads will all fail with EOF
although there is stuff to read. This translates to a
hang in the nxrun as it tries to read responses from
other processes.

2. setenv patch for solaris versions which have putenv
but no setenv.

3. waitpid patch: This is a generic patch needed to
break nxrun infinite loop where it checks for nxssh's
existence.

I have tested these patches with latest freenx and
1.5.0 backend on both client and server. I had to take
out the client_proto check on server side for the
proxy_cookie. I was wary of changing
NX_PROTOCOL_VERSION to 1.5.0 on client.

There are several protocol holes which I will be
looking into the future. But these patches enable the
basic functionality of starting and resuming sessions.

Have fun!!

Thanks,
-Sunil