[FreeNX-kNX] why should i have nxclient on my nx-server?

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Tue Oct 12 12:04:52 UTC 2004

Christian Fischer wrote:
> Now I know the reason. I think it is a
> question of philosophy. I think that notification jobs should do the server,
> not the client on the server machine. Maybe it is the better choice if the
> client does this job. But you are the developers, that is your decision.

Removing the dependency on client is possible, but actually
I don't see many advantages in doing that. We should have
nxssh, nxproxy, nxcomp in both the server and the client
packages or distribute them in a third package, f.e. nxcore.
As a user, I really prefer to download a single package.

As a matter of "philosophy", nxclient offers the interface
tools to the nxserver (not only the GUI, but even the IPC
facilities). These same tools are used by both the "client"
(intended as the user connecting from remote) and the
"server" itself (for inter-server and inter-node communica-
tion). The current "division of responsibilities" makes the
user loose something in configurability (for example the
possibility of screwing the client and the server by mixing
different versions of libraries and executables :-) but
surely NoMachine and FreeNX gain a lot in easyness of dist-
ribution, reduced support costs and stricter version
control. While I would describe myself as someone that
takes philosophy and consistency of design very seriously,
as a user I really prefer easyness and functionality.

> And i thought that i don't need a client on the server (no user is sitting on
> my server). Some days after your announcement of freenx i tested freenx-0.1
> with success, without using nxclient, without any dialogs. That's all.

IMHO I don't see anything wrong in a server package requi-
ring tools to interact with a user, especially in cases like
this, in which we inherently deal with GUIs. As I said,
nxserver can use whatever tool to show the dialogs, as for
example xmessage (that, if I understand, is the piece of GUI
that was defined "ugly") but you still need something ;-).

/Gian Filippo.