[FreeNX-kNX] why should i have nxclient on my nx-server?

Christian Fischer Christian.Fischer at fischundfischer.com
Mon Oct 11 21:32:36 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 22:36, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> Christian Fischer wrote:
> > Sorry. I really respect the nomachines and your work. It's a question of
> > philosophy.  From my point this should be the servers job
>
> The client package contains the libraries that are used by
> both nxserver and nxclient. nxclient is also used to display
> the dialogs interacting with the server, as for example the
> broadcast messages that nxserver can deliver to all the con-
> nected users or the "Close/Suspend/Cancel" dialog.
>
> As far as I understand what you don't really like is nxclient
> being a NoMachine package. This is easy to fix by developing
> an alternative nxclient. kNX can be a replacement, as soon as
> the code matures. A package wrapping xmessage can be another
> option.

I'm so sorry, this is a big misunderstanding.
I've no problem with NoMachine, NoMachine Developers and Nomachine packages.
Why should i have it? It is great software and i like to use it.

I had only a question. My intesion was to understand why "... i should also
install the nxclient from NoMachine or also copy the nxclient program from
freenx-0.2." (INSTALL freenx_0.2.4-3). Now I know the reason. I think it is a
question of philosophy. I think that notification jobs should do the server,
not the client on the server machine. Maybe it is the better choice if the
client does this job. But you are the developers, that is your decision.

And i thought that i don't need a client on the server (no user is sitting on
my server). Some days after your announcement of freenx i tested freenx-0.1
with success, without using nxclient, without any dialogs. That's all.

Regards
Christian

BTW: Does the client contain any libs aren't downloadable from nomachine.com?